Addiction. Parents of a chemical addict!
When a person finds out that his loved one uses drugs, of course, the first reaction is shock, panic – everything collapsed. After that, the life of the household is concentrated on the drug addict, and the daily war of salvation begins. Often this war does not lead to the desired results, but on the contrary, to the opposite. In order to avoid mistakes, it is advisable to adhere to certain rules.
- Do not try to deal with this problem yourself. You have neither relevant education nor experience in treatment and rehabilitation. Take it easy. Anger and aggression will only cause resistance and alienation from the addict. Do not break the contact, he should know that they want to help him.
- In a calm conversation, find out the real situation with the use of chemicals. Directly ask: “Have you been taking drugs?”, “How long ago?” When confirming the fact of taking a chemical, offer treatment, rehabilitation or a conversation with a specialist. If you deny the fact of use, offer the addict to take a rapid drug test. You can contact Our consultant will come to your home, conduct testing and provide you with all the advice on further actions. Often the addict refuses, coming up with various reasons not to undergo the analysis. Refusal can already be perceived as the beginning of active actions to treat the addict.
- Do not create conditions for him so that he could use! Establish strict boundaries for family behavior. Do not give in to provocations and don’t give money, no matter how he explains his requests. After all, you and we know how he will spend them. Don’t pay off his debts. Do not fall for blackmail or threats. Every addict becomes very cunning and it is easy for him to deceive almost any person for the idea of using. Take a tough position and follow it, give him the opportunity to live as badly as he himself seeks, but do not try to artificially worsen his life.
Remember! Do not die from withdrawal! Die from the use of a chemical!
- Consult with our rehabilitation specialist. Offer the addict treatment again. You cannot say that “you need to solve the problem” without offering him real help. Tell us about modern methods of treating addictions, their treatment success today, using the example of our clinic. Give him hope for the future.
- Relatives can face strong denial of the problem when it is clearly present. You need proof of chemical use. For example, show the addict the tools you have found for use (syringes, cans, bottles, hookahs, pipes for smoking mixtures, bags). Pay attention to whether he has any injection marks on his body. Try to film the moment when he is in a state of drug intoxication. The addict will have nothing to justify the facts provided by you. Do not humiliate or insult him – this will only cause even more denial. Show concern and love. He must understand that there is help and support in this situation.
- Tune in to a serious conversation. Calmly and clearly ask the question: “How do you imagine your life further?” Do not shout, do not find out the reasons “Who is to blame?” in its use: it will take you away from the essence of the goal itself. It is beneficial for the addict to blame someone for their problems. There are many reasons for using it, leave it to our specialists.
- No compromise! We want to say to all parents of addicted to chemicals: “You need to be tougher, but not scandal at the same time, but just make decisions and not deviate from them.” Clearly and distinctly, without aggression, designate your position as a statement: “You are going to the clinic today.” Do not believe the addict’s words that he will cope on his own or will “quit soon.” Before you now is a completely different person. This person is able to deceive, betray, go to anything for the sake of use. A chemical addict can never do it on his own! He needs professional help! As soon as the addict begins to make his demands and conditions, and you give in to him, then you have lost.
- Arrival at the clinic or meeting with a clinic consultant. Rehabilitation. Drug addiction is the most dangerous chronic progressive disease that, without timely intervention, always leads to one result – death on a spiritual and physical level!
Unfortunately, the state of denial of the disease in drug addicts is their natural state. Sometimes the intervention of the motivational team of the clinic specialists is required to form the desire for treatment in the addict. This method is called “intervention”, in other words, persuasion. It will help the addict realize the horror of the situation. The essence of the intervention is that the addict needs to describe the reality in words that are understandable for him and motivate him for treatment. This procedure is absolutely legal and efficient enough.
Motivational consultation, the purpose of which is to overcome the refusal of treatment, is carried out by our specialists, and is able to convince the patient of the need for rehabilitation. Each addict, even with the lowest motivation in the depths of the subconscious, is waiting for help, we help him come to this conviction himself and make a decision about the need for treatment.
Our specialists are able to find an approach to any drug addict, create a stable relationship of trust and only then direct (push) to make an important decision about the need for treatment. In 100% of cases, the intervention is initiated by relatives or friends of the addict. A call or a personal visit to the clinic is enough to agree on this procedure.
Our specialists go home to the addict and conduct a motivational conversation. In this case, the patient goes through several psychological stages. The addict gradually comes to the realization that he is sick and needs serious treatment. Correctly performed intervention gives up to 90% positive results. This means that 9 out of 10 drug addicts agree to further rehabilitation.
The psyche of addicted people is rather unstable. That is, if consent is obtained for treatment, you need to act very quickly. This means that if the addict’s relatives decide to intervene, they should be ready for a subsequent quick hospitalization.
Both you and we know that every day a drug addict in active use can lead to irreversible consequences!